No. 24 W&L Men's Soccer Plays 2-2 Draw with No. 6 Franklin & Marshall

No. 24 W&L Men's Soccer Plays 2-2 Draw with No. 6 Franklin & Marshall

LEXINGTON, Va. – The 24th-ranked Washington and Lee men's soccer team and sixth-ranked Franklin & Marshall played to a 2-2 draw after two overtime periods on Sunday afternoon at Watt Field.

The Diplomats (2-1-1) took a 1-0 lead at the 40:33 mark when sophomore midfielder Connor Whitacre played a ball through the top of the box and found the feet of senior forward Stephen Sherbahn, who played it into the lower corner of the net. F&M took a 1-0 lead into the halftime break.

The Generals (3-0-1) would even the score in the 55th minute when senior defender Sterling Kirk (San Francisco, Calif. / Stuart Hall) headed the ball into the back of the net off of a corner kick by junior midfielder Dylan Ritch (Mint Hill, N.C. / Independence).

W&L took a 2-1 lead 10 minutes later when Ritch took another corner at the 65:19 mark that bent into the upper corner of the net just past F&M first-year goalkeeper Sebastian Jenkins' glove. The diplomats received the equalizer courtesy of an own goal in the 87th minute. F&M played a ball into the W&L six-yard box that the Generals attempted to clear with a header. However, the ball connected with the defender with backspin and bounded into the net.

Strong defensive play by both teams in the first overtime period resulted in each team only taking two shots. The Generals controlled much of the second overtime session outshooting the Diplomats 3-0, however they could not find the back of the net and the two teams walked away with the draw.

W&L outshot Franklin & Marshall, 18-10, and held a 10-4 advantage in corner kicks. Senior Gillen Beck (Blacksburg, Va. / Blacksburg) played the full 110 minutes in goal for the Generals and made two saves. Jenkins also played the full game and made four stops for the Diplomats.

Washington and Lee returns to action on Tuesday when it travels to Southern Virginia for a 7:30 pm game.

-- --