Three Generals Named to NSCAA Men's Soccer All-Region Squad

Three Generals Named to NSCAA Men's Soccer All-Region Squad

KANSAS CITY, Kan. – The National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) announced its 2015 NCAA Division III Men's Soccer All-South Atlantic Region team on Thursday and Washington and Lee had three athletes honored.

Senior midfielder Ben Bayles (Fleming Island, Fla. / Fleming Island), junior defender Patrick Barry (West Roxbury, Mass. / Roxbury Latin School) and sophomore goalkeeper Gillen Beck (Blacksburg, Va. / Blacksburg) all received first team accolades. 

It is the first time W&L has had three players garner all-region honors since 2007, and the first time in program history the Generals have received three first team selections.

Bayles saw action in 20 games this season, starting every match in which he played. He led the team in goals (11) and points (23). His 11 goals ranked first in the ODAC, while his 23 points were good for third in the league. Bayles also notched a team-high four game-winning goals this season. He finished his career with 14 goals and two assists for 30 points. Bayles was also named the ODAC Player of the Year and earned first team all-conference recognition earlier this season. 

Barry made an impact in the back third for the Generals, playing in all 22 contests as a defender. He helped the defense allow just 16 goals, for a 0.71 goals-against average. Barry also tallied two goals and dished out four assists for eight points. Earlier this season, he received First Team All-ODAC laurels for the second time in his career.

Beck started 20 games in net for the Generals. In 1683:41, he stopped 64 shots. Beck posted a 0.64 goals-against average and an .842 save percentage, and claimed six shutouts. Beck was also recognized with First Team All-ODAC honors earlier this season.

The Generals ended their season with a 16-4-2 overall record and a 10-0-1 conference mark. W&L captured the program's fourth conference championship and a berth into the NCAA Tournament, where it advanced to the second round before falling to Haverford, 2-1.

-- --