W&L Men's Lax Drops a 10-9 Overtime Decision to Dickinson in NCAA Third Round

W&L Men's Lax Drops a 10-9 Overtime Decision to Dickinson in NCAA Third Round

CARLISLE, Pa. – Sophomore attackman Nick Goles scored off an assist from senior attackman Tyler Strods with 3:35 remaining in overtime to lift ninth-ranked Dickinson to a 10-9 victory over 12th-ranked Washington and Lee in the third round of the NCAA Tournament at Biddle Field.

The fourth quarter and overtime saw the two teams combine for nine of the game's 19 goals.  Dickinson (17-3) held a 6-4 lead heading into the fourth quarter, but the Generals (15-5) began the frame with a four-goal run to assume an 8-6 lead with 8:39 left in regulation. 

W&L's rally began when senior defenseman Kyle Gifford (Darien, Conn./Darien) scooped up a ground ball on the run and went straight to goal, scoring on a bounce shot with 12:45 left.  Senior midfielder Jones Veith (Alexandria, Va. / St. Stephen's & St. Agnes) then found the net 39 seconds later off an assist from first-year attackman Taylor Witherell (Wilmington, Del. / Salesianum).  Senior attackman A.J. Witherell (Wilmington, Del. / Salesianum) gave W&L its first lead since the first quarter when he fired a laser shot home over the shoulder of Dickinson sophomore goalkeeper Cole Pellicano at the 9:53 mark.  Veith then gave the Generals their largest lead (8-6) with an unassisted score with 8:39 left in the fourth.

The Red Devils retaliated just over a minute later, scoring two goals in a span of 2:33 to tie the game back up at 8-8 with 6:12 remaining.  Goles scored unassisted with 7:15 left and then senior attackman Dylan Maher scored off a feed from junior attackman Jack O'Connell at the 6:12 mark.

A.J. Witherell scored his second goal of the fourth quarter with 4:39 remaining to give W&L the lead back, but Dickinson had the equalizer just 40 seconds later when junior midfielder Brodie Phillips scored off an assist from O'Connell.

The Generals won the ensuing faceoff and had a good look in front of goal with 2:49 left, but Pellicano was able to stop a point-blank shot by senior attackman Sam Dardani (Waccabuc, N.Y. / Westminster) to keep the score tied.  The Red Devils applied pressure on the offensive end, looking to take the game in regulation, but W&L first-year goalkeeper Jack Taylor (Baltimore, Md. / Saint Paul's) was up to the task, producing four saves in the final 2:01, including a pair in the final seven seconds of regulation.

Dickinson won the faceoff to begin the extra session and called a timeout.  Goles scored 12 seconds later to send the Red Devils into the quarterfinals.

In the first half, W&L grabbed a 1-0 lead on an unassisted goal by Dardani, but Dickinson scored three straight for a 3-1 lead and held the advantage until the Generals' four-goal run at the start of the fourth period.

For the game, Dickinson held a 41-32 advantage in shots and each team collected 24 ground balls.  The Generals committed just six turnovers, but Dickinson won 14-of-23 faceoffs.

Sophomore midfielder Hudson Hamill (Darien, Conn. / Darien) and Veith paced the Generals with two goals and one assist each.  A.J. Witherell posted two goals and Taylor Witherell notched one goal and one helper.  On defense, junior defenseman John Broderick (Manhasset, N.Y. / Chaminade) recorded four caused turnovers and picked up three ground balls, while Taylor registered a career-best 16 saves.

Goles led the Red Devils with three goals and one assist.  O'Connell had two goals and two assists, while Maher scored two goals.  Pellicano posted 12 saves in goal.

Washington and Lee's season has completed with a 15-5 overall record.  Dickinson advances to NCAA quarterfinals where it will face the winner of a game between seventh-ranked Salisbury and 16th-ranked Christopher Newport. 

-- http://www.generalssports.com --