Roanoke Defeats W&L Men's Lacrosse, 15-14

Roanoke Defeats W&L Men's Lacrosse, 15-14

SALEM, Va. – Roanoke College senior attackman Kevin Jackson scored a goal with 33 seconds remaining to lift the Maroons to a 15-14 victory over Washington and Lee in ODAC men's lacrosse action on Saturday afternoon at Kerr Stadium.

The Maroons (12-3, 8-1) jumped out to a 10-4 lead in the second quarter on the strength of two goals each from senior midfielder Cameron Linsley and junior attackman Peter Lindley. 

The Generals (8-6, 6-1) got back into the game with a 4-0 run across the end of the second and beginning of the third period to pull within two goals (10-8) with 12:16 left in the third.  Senior midfielder Jonathan Henry (Charlotte, N.C. / Providence Day) got things started with an unassisted goal at 5:38 of the second quarter and sophomore attackman A.J. Witherell (Wilmington, Del. / Salesianum) followed with a man-up goal from junior attackman Sam Dardani (Waccabuc, N.Y. / Westminster) with 48 seconds left in the half.  After the break, Henry fed senior midfielder Joe Perrella (Larkspur, Calif. / Redwood) for a score at the 13:31 mark and then Henry scored man-up off an assist from Witherell at 12:16.

Roanoke pushed back out to a 13-8 lead at the 2:54 mark with a three-goal run that featured a pair of goals from first-year attackman Jason Sarro.  However, the Generals once again responded, this time with a four-goal spurt that pulled them to within a single goal (13-12) with 11:55 left to play.  Witherell posted two scores during the stretch, while Perrella and first-year midfielder Jack Hodgson (Richmond, Va. / St. Christopher's) added the other goals.

Sarro scored unassisted at 10:14 to give the Maroons a two-goal cushion (14-12), but the Blue & White followed with two straight to knot the game at 14-14 with 3:43 remaining in the contest.  Senior attackman Whit Griffin (Richmond, Va. / Collegiate) scored off an assist from first-year midfielder Hudson Hamill (Darien, Conn. / Darien) at the 8:37 mark and Witherell fired an unassisted shot past RC goalkeeper Ian Davies with 3:43 left to tie the game up.

W&L won the faceoff following Witherell's goal and held the ball on offense before being called for stalling.  Witherell fired a shot just wide with one second left on the shot clock and Roanoke gained possession following a shot clock violation.  Jackson beat his man one-on-one and scored the game-winner on a bounce shot that went over the shoulder of junior goalkeeper Nic Peterson (Scottsdale, Ariz. / Culver Academy).  The Maroons won the final faceoff and ran out the clock for their third straight win over W&L.

The Generals out-shot Roanoke, 52-39, while the Maroons held a 44-39 advantage on ground balls.  W&L won the battle at the faceoff X, 18-13.

Witherell and Griffin led the Generals with four goals and one assist each.  Henry posted two goals and one assist, while Hamill notched three assists.  Perrella added two goals and Dardani had two assists.  Sophomore Philip Rech (Darien, Conn. / Darien) started in goal and played 21:58, allowing eight goals with three saves.  Peterson played the final 38:02 and tallied five saves with seven goals allowed.  Hodgson had another fine outing, winning 14 out of 25 faceoffs and scoring one goal.

Sarro posted four goals and two assists, and Jackson finished with three goals and three helpers for the Maroons.  Linsley chipped in two goals and two assists, while Lindley had two goals.  Davies played the entire contest in goal and recorded 13 saves with 14 goals allowed. 

Washington and Lee returns to action on Wednesday when it hosts Randolph for a 7:00 pm contest.

-- --