W&L Men's Lacrosse Falls to Franklin & Marshall, 10-8

W&L Men's Lacrosse Falls to Franklin & Marshall, 10-8

LANCASTER, Pa. – Franklin & Marshall used two straight tallies for a two-goal lead midway through the third quarter and never let the Generals draw even again in posting a 10-8 victory over Washington and Lee in men's lacrosse on Saturday at Tylus Field.

Junior attackman Cam Lewis (Chapel Hill, N.C. / Durham Academy) scored three first half goals as the teams traded goals back-and-forth until the Diplomats (3-2) grabbed a 4-3 halftime lead with a goal just 15 seconds before the break.  Sophomore midfielder Brendan Kenavan, brother of W&L senior midfielder Drew Kenavan (West Windsor, N.J./West Windsor-Plainsboro), found the goal unassisted for the halftime advantage.

The Generals (2-3) knotted the score at 4-4 just 2:38 into the second half when senior midfielder Joe Wood (Bronxville, N.Y./Bronxville) scored a man-up goal off an assist from junior midfielder Garrett Paglia (Forest Hill, Md./Gilman). 

F&M took the lead back less than a minute later when junior midfielder Philip Gamble found rope unassisted at the 11:35 mark of the third period.  Junior attackman Cameron Dabir (Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich. / Culver Academy) tied the game again at 5-5 when he scored unassisted at the 9:44 mark, but the Diplomats used their two-goal run for the first multi-goal lead of the game.

Kenavan started the rally with a goal off an assist from senior attackman Billy Kempner at 7:57 and sophomore attackman Will Ballantyne scored off a feed from sophomore attackman Michael Bossidy at 6:01.

W&L pulled to within a goal (7-6) on a Dabir goal off an assist from senior attackman Sean Gebhard (Fox Point, Wis. / Marquette University School) at 5:15, but Bossidy scored in transition with two seconds left in the period for an 8-6 F&M lead heading into the fourth quarter.

Paglia opened the fourth quarter with a goal at the 13:56 mark to make it a one-goal game again, but another two-goal run gave the Diplomats a 10-7 lead with 5:43 left in the game.  Wood scored his second goal with 3:00 left, but the Generals could get no closer in dropping their third straight contest.

The two teams played even throughout, with each taking 33 shots in the contest.  F&M led in ground balls, 26-21, and the Generals won 11-of-21 faceoffs.

Lewis led the way with three goals, with Dabir and Wood scoring two goals each.  Paglia added one goal and one assist.  Sophomore Wyatt Devine (Norfolk, Va. / Norfolk Academy) started in goal and notched five saves and four goals allowed in 30 minutes of action.  Junior Warren Berenis (Ocoee, Fla. / Lake Highland Prep) played the final two quarters, making seven saves with six goals allowed.

Bossidy finished with two goals and two assists, while Kenavan and senior midfielder Jamie McCulloch tallied two goals each.  Senior Cameron Setian played the entirety in goal, notching nine saves.

Washington and Lee returns to action on Wednesday when it travels to 20th-ranked Mary Washington for a 3:30 pm contest.

-- http://www.generalssports.com --