W&L Men's Lacrosse Drops a 9-8 OT Decision to Lynchburg

W&L Men's Lacrosse Drops a 9-8 OT Decision to Lynchburg

LEXINGTON, Va. – Eighth-ranked Lynchburg scored the final six goals of regulation and then tallied the game-winner 55 seconds into overtime to post a 9-8 win over ninth-ranked Washington and Lee in ODAC men's lacrosse action on Wednesday evening at Wilson Field.

The Generals (8-2, 2-1) jumped out to a 4-0 lead with 9:18 left in the second quarter on the strength of a pair of goals by senior attackman Mac Means (Sewickley, Pa./Sewickley Academy).  The Hornets (8-1, 3-0) got on the board with a man-up goal by first-year attackman Austin Stewart (Reisterstown, Md./Loyola-Blakefield) off an assist from first-year attackman Aaron Murphy (Downingtown, Pa./Downingtown East) with 1:58 left in the second quarter and W&L carried a 4-1 lead into the halftime break.

W&L scored the first three goals of the third period to extend its lead to 7-1 with 8:26 left in the quarter.  Junior midfielder Joe Wood (Bronxville, N.Y./Bronxville) scored unassisted at 11:35 and junior midfielder Jack Reuter (Rockville Center, N.Y./Chaminade) found the net unassisted 59 seconds later.  Wood then scored man-up from sophomore midfielder Garrett Paglia (Forest Hill, Md./Gilman) at 8:26 to cap the run.

Lynchburg cut it to 7-2 on a goal by senior midfielder Vin Curran (Hull, Mass./Cohasset) at 7:22, but the Generals scored off the faceoff just three seconds later for an 8-2 lead with 7:19 left in the third quarter.  Sophomore long-stick midfielder Noah Lessing (Babylon, N.Y./Babylon) tallied the goal off an assist from junior midfielder Jared Mitchell (Garden City, N.Y./Garden City).

The Hornets then began their game-ending surge when Stewart scored off an assist by senior attackman Pat Ohrem (Ridgefield, Conn./Trinity Pawling) with 6:25 left in the third quarter, cutting it to an 8-3 game entering the fourth quarter.

Stewart then scored again at the 12:46 mark of the fourth quarter, and sophomore midfielder Chris Hower (North Potomac, Md./Quince Orchard) found rope exactly one minute later to make it an 8-5 game.  The score remained 8-5 until LC senior attackman Derek Sweet (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) scored unassisted with 8:17 left in regulation.  Senior midfielder Max Voumard (Cape May, N.J./St. Augustine Prep) made it 8-7 when he scored unassisted at 4:12 and Sweet tallied the equalizer off an Ohrem assist with 3:04 left in regulation.

Lynchburg won the faceoff to open the overtime and received a man-up situation to control the action before sophomore midfielder Campbell Armstrong (Malvern, Pa./Great Valley) scored at even strength just 55 seconds into the extra session to give the Hornets their fourth straight win over W&L.

The Generals won just two of seven faceoffs in the fourth period and overtime as the Hornets held a 12-4 advantage in shots over the final 15:55 of the game.  Overall, W&L held a 30-28 edge in shots and a 31-30 advantage on ground balls.  LC won 13-of-21 faceoffs in the game.

W&L was led by Wood, who totaled two goals and one assist.  Means notched two goals, while Paglia had one goal and one assist.  Sophomore Warren Berenis (Ocoee, Fla./Lake Highland Prep) played the duration in goal and posted six saves.

Lynchburg was paced by Stewart, who scored three goals.  Sweet scored two tallies, while Armstrong had one goal and one assist. Sophomore goalkeeper Adam Davey (Owings Mills, Md./Boys' Latin) notched eight saves while playing the duration in goal.

Washington and Lee returns to action on Saturday when it travels to Virginia Wesleyan for a 1:00 pm contest.

-- http://www.generalssports.com --