W&L Men's Lacrosse Knocks Off Top-Ranked Salisbury, 7-6, in 2 OT's

W&L Men's Lacrosse Knocks Off Top-Ranked Salisbury, 7-6, in 2 OT's

SALISBURY, Md. – Senior midfielder Luke Heinsohn (Charlottesville, Va./Covenant) scored off an assist from senior midfielder Jack Switala (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) with nine seconds remaining in double-overtime to lead the Washington and Lee men's lacrosse team to a 7-6 win over top-ranked Salisbury on Wednesday at Seagull Stadium.

The loss gives Salisbury (1-2) its first two-game losing streak since the 2009 season and dropped the Seagulls under .500 for the first time since 1989.  It was also SU's first home loss since a 16-12 setback to Stevenson on April 16, 2011.  Additionally, the six goals were the fewest scored by the Seagulls since a 9-6 loss to Tufts in the 2010 National Championship game.

The teams ended a low-scoring first half tied 2-2, but the Generals (3-0) claimed four of the five goals scored in the third period to enter the final 15 minutes with a 6-3 lead.  Sophomore attackman Cameron Dabir (Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich./Culver Academy) gave W&L a 3-2 lead when he scored off an assist from sophomore long-stick midfielder Noah Lessing (Babylon, N.Y./Babylon) just 15 seconds into the second half.  Sophomore midfielder Garrett Paglia (Forest Hill, Md./Gilman) stretched it to a 4-2 game when he scored just 41 seconds later, and he added another goal at the 9:25 mark for a 5-2 lead. 

Salisbury cut the W&L lead to 5-3 on a goal by senior attackman Evan Hammersly at the 8:11 mark, but senior attackman Mac Means (Sewickley, Pa./Sewickley Academy) made it 6-3 with a goal at 4:51 of the third quarter.

The Seagulls controlled play in the fourth quarter, holding the Generals scoreless while tallying three goals to knot the score at 6-6.  Hammersly found the net on a man advantage 57 seconds into the quarter and senior midfielder Ryan Clarke made it a 6-5 game when he scored at the 12:22 mark.  Senior midfielder Eric Kluge then scored the equalizer on a bounce shot with 2:45 left in regulation.  Each team squeezed off one shot in the final 1:22 but neither scored the game-winner.

In the first overtime, it appeared as though the Generals scored the game-winner with 0:46 left when Means slipped on the door step and was fed by senior midfielder Cooper Brown (Baltimore, Md./Gilman).  However, SU junior goalkeeper Alex Taylor made a spectacular save to keep the game alive.

In the second overtime, sophomore goalkeeper Warren Berenis (Ocoee, Fla./Lake Highland Prep) turned back Kluge with 2:36 left, while Taylor made two more saves, the second coming with 21 seconds left, keeping the score level.  However, Switala picked up the groundball following the save and feed Heinsohn who beat Taylor over his left shoulder with the game-winner.

Paglia led W&L with a game-high four goals, while Means had one goal and one assist.  Dabir and Heinsohn also found the cage for the Generals.  Berenis finished with eight saves on the day.

Clarke scored three goals and assisted on another to lead Salisbury.  Hammersly had two goals and Kluge had one goal and one assist.  Taylor stopped 11 shots in goal, including four in the overtime periods. 

Washington and Lee returns to action on Sunday when it travels to 10th-ranked Denison for a 1:00 pm contest.

-- http://www.generalssports.com --