LEXINGTON, Va. -- Washington and Lee Director of Athletics Jan Hathorn has announced that 233 students earned Scholar-Athlete awards during the recently completed winter term. The students are all members of W&L athletic teams and achieved a grade-point average (GPA) of at least 3.500.
The 233 students earning scholar-athlete awards represents the highest total ever for the winter term, eclipsing the former mark of 216 students set during the 2015 winter term. The highest total for any term is 242 set just this fall.
Additionally, 30 of the students honored for the winter term achieved a 4.0 grade-point average. Among those registering a perfect GPA were:
• Junior basketball player Nicholas George (Charleston, W. Va. / Charleston Catholic)
• Senior basketball player Sydney Lundquist (Chattanooga, Tenn. / Notre Dame)
• Junior All-ODAC basketball player Emily Perszyk (Greendale, Wis. / Greendale)
• Sophomore All-ODAC track & field and cross country runner Hank Patrick (Baton Rouge, La. / University Laboratory School)
• Senior football player John Carrick (Charlotte, N.C. / Providence Day)
• Junior golfer Eric Wirth (Morgantown, W.Va. / University)
• Sophomore lacrosse player John Broderick (Manhasset, N.Y. / Chaminade)
• First-year lacrosse player Stevan Kriss (Versailles, Ky. / Lexington Catholic)
• First-year lacrosse player Chris Surran (Plano, Texas / Salisbury School)
• Sophomore lacrosse player Cordelia Peters (Larkspur, Calif. / Hotchkiss)
• First-year lacrosse player Peyton Smith (Monkton, Md. / Bryn Mawr)
• Senior rider Ashley Ooms (Whitehouse Station, N.J. / Hunterdon Central Regional)
• Junior All-ODAC soccer player Gillen Beck (Blacksburg, Va. / Blacksburg)
• First-year soccer player Ryan Lesher (Glen Allen, Va. / Deep Run)
• Senior soccer player Katie Clemmons (Phoenix, Ariz. / Chaparral)
• Junior All-ODAC swimmer Thomas Caldwell (Greenville, S.C. / Wade Hampton)
• Junior All-America swimmer Tommy Thetford (Birmingham, Ala. / The Altamont)
• Senior swimmer Harrison Westgarth (McKinney, Texas / McKinney)
• First-year All-ODAC swimmer Laura Bruce (New Orleans, La. / Academy of the Sacred Heart)
• Junior All-ODAC swimmer Mara Tynan (Westford, Mass. / Westford Academy)
• First-year tennis player Jack Johnson (Fairfield, Conn. / Fairfield Warde)
• Senior All-America tennis player Brooke Donnelly (Kennesaw, Ga. / Marietta)
• Sophomore All-ODAC tennis player Tessa Hill (Canton, Ohio / Jackson)
• Junior tennis player Claudia Kesala (Cupertino, Calif. / Monta Vista)
• Sophomore tennis player Mary Hampton McNeal (Beaufort, S.C. / South Carolina Connections Academy)
• Senior All-ODAC track & field athlete Jake Roberts (Kansas City, Mo. / The Barstow School)
• Senior All-ODAC track & field athlete Lizzy Stanton (Papillion, Neb. / Papillion-LaVista South)
• Senior track & field athlete Jamie White (Prosser, Wash. / Prosser)
• Junior volleyball player Katie Volk (Lancaster, Calif. / Quartz Hill)
• Sophomore wrestler Ethan Hartman (River Edge, N.J. / River Dell Regional)
Other notable athletes to receive Scholar-Athlete awards were 12 additional All-Americans, including senior baseball player Tom Concklin (Hinsdale, Ill. / Hinsdale Central), senior field hockey/lacrosse player Maggie Waxter (Baltimore, Md. / Roland Park Country School), senior football player Will Dyson (Indian Springs, Ala. / Briarwood Christian), junior golfer Luke Farley (Durham, N.C. / Trinity School), senior golfer Conley Hurst (Little Rock, Ark. / Episcopal), junior golfer Mary-Frances Hall (State Road, N.C./Elkin), junior swimmer Tommy Thetford (Birmingham, Ala. / The Altamont), sophomore swimmer Elle Chancey (Tampa, Fla. / Berkeley Preparatory School), junior swimmer Cassidy Fuller (Moraga, Calif. / Campolindo), first-year swimmer Emily Hageboeck (Charleston, W. Va. / George Washington), senior swimmer Emily Rollo (Haddonfield, N.J. / Haddonfield Memorial) and senior volleyball player and track & field athlete Mackenzie Shand (Saline, Mich. / Saline).
All 24 varsity athletic programs achieved a team GPA of at least 3.000, led by the women's tennis team with a 3.711. The men's golf team was second with a 3.674 and no team recorded a GPA lower than 3.141.
Washington and Lee has already claimed seven Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championships during the 2016-17 school year. The Generals claimed the conference crown in men's cross country, women's cross country, women's soccer, men's swimming, women's swimming, men's indoor track & field and men's outdoor track & field.