LEXINGTON, Va. -- Washington and Lee Director of Athletics Jan Hathorn has announced that 246 students earned Scholar-Athlete awards during the recently completed fall term.
The students are all members of W&L athletic teams and achieved a grade-point average (GPA) of at least 3.50. Additionally, 23 of the students honored for the fall term achieved a 4.0 grade-point average. Among those registering a perfect GPA were:
• Sophomore volleyball player Kiera Borthwick (Northville, Mich. / Northville)
• First-year swimmer Elle Boyd (Corpus Christi, Texas / Richard King)
• Junior football player Andrew Brouse (Charlotte, N.C. / Charlotte Catholic)
• Junior All-ODAC swimmer Laura Bruce (New Orleans, La. / Academy of the Sacred Heart)
• First-year wrestler Reid Dentner (Lansdale, Pa. / North Penn)
• Junior football player Matt Dodson (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford)
• First-year soccer player Eric Dragon (Tenafly, N.J. / Tenafly)
• Sophomore field hockey player Kelly Fennessy (Bel Air, Md. / Roland Park)
• First-year baseball player Jackson Gazin (Reisterstown, Md. / Boys' Latin)
• Senior swimmer Laura Gottschalk (Lake Forest, Ill. / Lake Forest)
• Junior All-ODAC tennis player Madison Hutchins (Atlanta, Ga. / Westminster)
• First-year lacrosse player Spencer Kriss (Versailles, Ky. / Lexington Catholic)
• Junior lacrosse player Stevan Kriss (Versailles, Ky. / Lexington Catholic)
• Sophomore All-ODAC swimmer Danny Lynch (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal)
• Senior All-ODAC tennis player Mary Hampton McNeal (Beaufort, S.C. / South Carolina Connections Academy)
• Sophomore soccer player Allie Smith Miller (Atlanta, Ga. / Westminster)
• First-year lacrosse player Ned Mize (Henrico, Va. / Douglas Freeman)
• Senior All-ODAC cross country and track runner Hank Patrick (Baton Rouge, La. / University Laboratory School)
• Senior All-ODAC soccer player Caroline Peters (Charlotte, N.C. / Charlotte Latin School)
• Senior All-ODAC lacrosse player Cordelia Peters (Larkspur, Calif. / Hotchkiss)
• Sophomore All-ODAC swimmer Fitz Rawls (Tampa, Fla. / Hillsborough)
• Sophomore cross country and track runner Claire Smith (Nashville, Tenn. / Harpeth Hall School)
• Junior All-ODAC volleyball player Anna Soroka (Mechanicsville, Va. / Lee-Davis)
Other notable athletes to receive Scholar-Athlete awards included 57 All-ODAC selections and 10 athletes who have earned All-American honors during their careers. They are senior field hockey and lacrosse player Haley Tucker (Manakin-Sabot, Va. / St. Catherine's), junior golfer Brian Peccie (Norfolk, Va. / Norfolk Academy), senior men's lacrosse player A.J. Witherell (Wilmington, Del. / Salesianum), senior swimmer Elle Chancey (Tampa, Fla. / Berkeley Preparatory School), junior swimmers Caroline Florence (Dallas, Texas / Ursuline Academy), Emily Hageboeck (Charleston, W.Va. / George Washington) and Tori Hester (Cary, N.C. / Saint Mary's School), sophomore swimmer Patrick Sullivan (Pawleys Island, S.C. / Waccamaw) and senior tennis player Tessa Hill (Canton, Ohio / Jackson) and senior volleyball player Meg Guignon (St. Louis, Mo. / Visitation Academy).
All told, 22 of the 24 varsity athletic programs achieved a team GPA of at least 3.000, led by the women's tennis team with a 3.784, the second-highest team GPA since tracking began in 2000. The highest men's team was the golf squad with a 3.558. No team recorded a GPA lower than 2.857.
Together, the fall sports teams combined to post a 57-35-4 (.615) overall record, claiming conference titles in men's cross country, women's cross country, men's soccer and volleyball.