W&L Women's Tennis Falls to Tufts, 5-4
ATLANTA, Ga. -- The No. 9 Washington and Lee women's tennis team opened up competition in the Fab 10 Tournament with a 5-4 loss to No. 8 Tufts University on Friday afternoon on the campus of Emory University in Atlanta, Ga.
The Generals fell behind after doubles (2-1) and could not recover despite wins by junior Lauren Lukas (Manitowoc, Wis./Lincoln), sophomore Sallie Griffin (Warrenton, Va./Highland School) and senior Catherine Reed (St. Louis, Mo./MICDS) at No. 2, 5 and 6 singles, respectively.
With the loss, the Generals are now 12-4 overall, while Tufts improved to 3-1 on the season.
W&L returns to action tomorrow as it faces No. 2 Williams College at 10:00 am.
#8 Tufts University 5, #9 Washington and Lee 4
Mar 25, 2011 at Atlanta, Ga. (Emory University)
1. Julia Browne (TUFTS) def. Ellen Yeatman (W&LW) 6-1, 6-1
2. Lauren Lukas (W&LW) def. Shelci Bowman (TUFTS) 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
3. Lindsay Katz (TUFTS) def. Jen Snyder (W&LW) 6-3, 6-0
4. Eliza Flynn (TUFTS) def. Trelsie Sadler (W&LW) 6-2, 7-5
5. Sallie Griffin (W&LW) def. Lauren Hollender (TUFTS) 6-1, 6-1
6. Catherine Reed (W&LW) def. Samantha Gann (TUFTS) 2-6, 7-5, 11-9
1. Julia Browne/Shelci Bowman (TUFTS) def. Lauren Lukas/Trelsie Sadler (W&LW) 8-6
2. Lindsay Katz/Eliza Flynn (TUFTS) def. Jen Snyder/Ellen Yeatman (W&LW) 9-7
3. Sallie Griffin/Chelsea Mixson (W&LW) def. Samantha Gann/Janice Lam (TUFTS) 9-8
Washington and Lee 12-4; National ranking #9
Tufts University 3-1; National ranking #8