ST. PETER, Minn. – The No. 10 Washington and Lee women's tennis team fell to No. 5 Denison, 6-3, in first-round action of the ITA National Collegiate Indoor Championships at the Swanson Tennis Center in St. Peter, Minn. on Friday afternoon.
The Generals claimed one doubles and two singles victories on the day. The No. 2 doubles tandem of juniors Jen Snyder (Highland Heights, Ohio/Gilmour Academy) and Ellen Yeatman (Little Rock, Ark./Little Rock Central) defeated Denison's Alex Marcell and Jane Lent, 9-7. Junior Trelsie Sadler (Wakefield, R.I./Groton School) won at No. 4 singles over DU's Alex Marcell, 6-2, 6-2, while sophomore Sallie Griffin (Warrenton, Va./Highland School) was victorious at the No. 6 singles position over Kate Westenberger, 6-4, 6-1.
With the loss W&L fell to 3-1 on the season, while Denison improved to 1-1.
W&L returns to action on Saturday, facing No. 13 Chapman in a semifinal match of the consolation bracket at 9:30 am. Chapman fell to No. 4 Chicago, 8-1, on Friday afternoon in the first round of the tournament.
#5 Denison 6, #10 Washington and Lee 3
Mar 04, 2011 at St. Peter, Minn. (Swanson Tennis Center)
1. Kristin Cobb (DEN) def. Ellen Yeatman (W&LW) 6-2, 6-4
2. Erin Chadwell (DEN) def. Lauren Lukas (W&LW) 6-2, 6-3
3. Sarah Short (DEN) def. Jen Snyder (W&LW) 7-5, 6-2
4. Trelsie Sadler (W&LW) def. Alex Marcell (DEN) 6-2, 6-2
5. Kelsey Geppner (DEN) def. Chelsea Mixson (W&LW) 6-0, 6-1
6. Sallie Griffin (W&LW) def. Kate Westenberger (DEN) 6-4, 6-1
1. Kristin Cobb/Erin Chadwell (DEN) def. Trelsie Sadler/Lauren Lukas (W&LW) 8-2
2. Jen Snyder/Ellen Yeatman (W&LW) def. Alex Marcell/Jane Lent (DEN) 9-7
3. Kelsey Geppner/Sarah Short (DEN) def. Chelsea Mixson/Sallie Griffin (W&LW) 8-4
Denison 1-1; National ranking #5
Washington and Lee 3-1; National ranking #10
ITA National Collegiate Indoor Championships