ATLANTA, Ga. – The sixth-ranked Washington and Lee women’s tennis team defeated 17th-ranked Vassar, 5-0, in second round action of the NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Tournament on Saturday afternoon at the Woodruff Physical Education Center on the campus of Emory University in Atlanta, Ga.
W&L claimed all three doubles positions, while sophomore Ann Morris (Lexington, Ky./Lexington Catholic) defeated Jennifer Ruther, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 5 singles and sophomore Jen Snyder (Highland Heights, Ohio/Gilmour Academy) defeated Natalie Santiago, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 4 singles to win the match.
The Generals improved to 19-5 on the season, while the Brewers conclude their season with a 19-3 record.
With the win, the Generals will advance to third round play in the NCAA Tournament and face fourth-ranked Emory at 12:00 pm on Sunday in Atlanta.
Washington and Lee Tennis
Vassar College vs Washington and Lee (May 15, 2010)
#6 Washington and Lee 5, #17 Vassar College
May 15, 2010 at Atlanta, Ga. (Emory University)
1. Lauren Caire (W&L) vs. Nicole Pontee (VC) 4-6, 1-4, unfinished
2. Ellen Yeatman (W&L) vs. Jennifer Beckerman (VC) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
3. Lauren Lukas (W&L) vs. Joy Backer (VC) 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
4. Jen Snyder (W&L) def. Natalie Santiago (VC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Ann Morris (W&L) def. Jennifer Ruther (VC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Blair Brzeski (W&L) vs. Nicole Block (VC) 6-6, unfinished
1. Ellen Yeatman/Lauren Caire (W&L) def. Nicole Pontee/Joy Backer (VC) 9-8
2. Lauren Lukas/Ann Morris (W&L) def. Jennifer Beckerman/Nicole Block (VC) 8-0
3. Blair Brzeski/Trelsie Sadler (W&L) def. Natalie Santiago/Melanie Horn (VC) 8-0
Vassar College 19-3; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #7
Washington and Lee 19-5; National ranking #6; Regional ranking #1
NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championships - Second Round