LEXINGTON, Va. -- The sixth-ranked and top-seeded Washington and
Lee women's tennis team claimed a 5-0 victory over No. 2 seed
Hollins University in the championship match of the ODAC Tournament
on Monday morning at the Duchossois Tennis Center.
With the win, the Generals claimed their 20th ODAC championship in 25 seasons of competition, and ninth consecutive title. They also received the ODAC's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament, which begins on May 14.
The Generals notched wins at all three doubles positions, while senior Blair Brzeski (Westlake Village, Calif./Agoura) and junior Virginia Dickinson (Memphis, Tenn./St. Mary's Episcopal) posted victories at No. 3 and No. 4 singles to close out the match. The remainder of the singles matches were left unfinished.
W&L is now 18-5 on the season, while Hollins dropped to 15-3 overall.
The Generals will play one more match before the NCAA Tournament, traveling to face Carnegie Mellon on Saturday at 4:00 pm.
#6 Washington and Lee 5, Hollins University
Apr 26, 2010 at Lexington, Va. (Duchossois Tennis Center)
1. Lauren Caire (W&L) vs. Karen Montoya (HU) 6-4, unfinished
2. Ellen Yeatman (W&L) vs. Sarah Budrus (HU) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
3. Blair Brzeski (W&L) def. Shawnte Woodson (HU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Virginia Dickinson (W&L) def. Anne Ailstock (HU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Laura Simmons (W&L) vs. Mariah Bryant (HU) unfinished
6. Jen Hall (W&L) vs. Finley Vinson (HU) unfinished
1. Lauren Caire/Ellen Yeatman (W&L) def. Sarah Budrus/Anne Ailstock (HU) 8-2
2. Blair Brzeski/Virginia Dickinson (W&L) def. Mariah Bryant/Karen Montoya (HU) 8-2
3. Jen Hall/Laura Simmons (W&L) def. Finley Vinson/Shawnte Woodson (HU) 8-4
Hollins University 15-3
Washington and Lee 18-5; National ranking #6; Regional ranking #1