W&L Women's Tennis Edges No. 18 Johns Hopkins, 5-4
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. -- The sixth-ranked Washington and Lee women’s tennis team wrapped up play at the Fab 5 Tournament with a 5-4 win over No. 18 Johns Hopkins on Sunday afternoon at the University of Mary Washington.
W&L (15-4) took a 3-0 lead after the doubles portion of the event, but the Blue Jays won singles flights one through three to tie the match at 3-3. Sophomore Lauren Lukas (Manitowoc, Wis./Lincoln) gave the Generals a 4-3 lead with a come-from-behind win at No. 4 singles. JHU tied up the match at 4-4 before senior Blair Brzeski (Westlake Village, Calif./Agoura) rallied from a 4-3 deficit in the third set to defeat JHU’s Andrea Berlinghof and clinch the match for the Generals.
With the win, W&L finished the three-day event with a perfect 3-0 record and has now won 12 of its last 13 matches.
The Generals return to action on Thursday when they host
Williams at 4:00 pm.
1. Carolyn Warren (JHU) def. Lauren Caire (W&L) 2-6, 6-4,
2. Nandita Krishnan (JHU) def. Ellen Yeatman (W&L) 6-3, 6-2
3. Anita Bhamidipati (JHU) def. Ann Morris (W&L) 6-2, 6-4
4. Lauren Lukas (W&L) def. Mallory Willenborg (JHU) 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Candace Wu (JHU) def. Jen Snyder (W&L) 6-1, 6-2
6. Blair Brzeski (W&L) def. Andrea Berlinghof (JHU) 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
1. Ellen Yeatman/Lauren Caire (W&L) def. Carolyn
Warren/Anita Bhamidipati (JHU) 8-5
2. Lauren Lukas/Ann Morris (W&L) def. Candace Wu/Nandita Krishnan (JHU) 8-1
3. Jen Snyder/Blair Brzeski (W&L) def. Courtney Boger/Mallory Willenborg (JHU) 8-4
Johns Hopkins 2-6; National ranking #18
Washington and Lee 15-4; National ranking #6