W&L Women's Tennis Tops No. 2 Emory University, 5-4
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – The sixth-ranked Washington and Lee
women’s tennis team topped 2nd-ranked Emory University, 5-4,
on Saturday afternoon at the Fab Five Tournament, hosted by Mary
Washington, in Fredericksburg, Va.
With the win, the Generals improved to 14-4 on the season, while the Eagles now own a record of 14-3.
Highlights for the match included senior Lauren Caire (Nashville, Tenn./Harpeth Hall) defeating the defending NCAA singles champion Lorne McManigle at No. 1 singles, 6-4, 6-3 and sophomore Lauren Lukas (Manitowoc, Wisc./Lincoln) winning her match at No. 4 singles to secure the 5-4 victory.
The Generals will continue play at the Fab Five tournament on Sunday as they play Johns Hopkins University at 11:00 am.
#6 Washington and Lee 5, #2 Emory University 4
Mar 27, 2010 at Fredericksburg, Va.
1. Lauren Caire (W&L) def. McManigle, Lorne (EU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Ellen Yeatman (W&L) def. Dawson, Zahra (EU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Wylie, Jordan (EU) def. Ann Morris (W&L) 6-1, 6-0
4. Lauren Lukas (W&L) def. Reidenbach, Lindsay (EU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Nash, Tshema (EU) def. Jen Snyder (W&L) 6-1, 6-2
6. Vrabec, Sara (EU) def. Blair Brzeski (W&L) 6-0, 6-3
1. Ellen Yeatman/Lauren Caire (W&L) def. Dawson, Zahra/McManigle, Lorne (EU) 8-6
2. Lauren Lukas/Ann Morris (W&L) def. Rogers, Sabra/Nash, Tshema (EU) 8-4
3. Wylie, Jordan/Wikman, Amanda (EU) def. Jen Snyder/Blair Brzeski (W&L) 8-6
Emory University 14-3; National ranking #2
Washington and Lee 14-4; National ranking #6