W&L Women's Tennis Falls to Chicago, 5-4
LEXINGTON, Va. – The sixth-ranked Washington and Lee
women’s tennis team fell to fourth-ranked Chicago, 5-4, on
Wednesday afternoon at the W&L Outdoor Courts.
With the loss, Washington and Lee fell to 12-4 on the season, while Chicago now owns a record of 9-2.
With Chicago leading 3-2, the match was moved indoors to the Duchossois Tennis Center. Sophomore Ellen Yeatman (Little Rock, Ark./Little Rock Central) then went on to defeat the central region's No. 6 player, Jennifer Kung, (6-4, 6-4) to tie the match at 3-3. Senior Lauren Caire (Nashville, Tenn./Harpeth Hall) nearly pulled off an upset holding the match point, before falling to the central region's No. 1 player, Kendra Higgins, 6-4, 5-7, 11-9.
The Generals return to action on Friday as they face Skidmore at
the Fab Five Tournament, hosted by Mary Washington. The match is
slated to begin at noon.
#4 Chicago 5, #6 Washington and Lee 4
Mar 24, 2010 at Lexington, Va. (W&L Outdoor Courts)
1. Kendra Higgins (UCW) def. Lauren Caire (W&L) 6-4, 5-7, 11-9
2. Ellen Yeatman (W&L) def. Jennifer Kung (UCW) 6-4, 6-4
3. Carmen Vaca Guzman (UCW) def. Ann Morris (W&L) 6-3, 6-4
4. Linden Li (UCW) def. Lauren Lukas (W&L) 3-6, 6-2, 10-5
5. Jen Snyder (W&L) def. Chrissy Hu (UCW) 6-2, 6-4
6. Blair Brzeski (W&L) def. Tiffany Nguyen (UCW) 7-6, 6-0
1. Kendra Higgins/Chrissy Hu (UCW) def. Lauren Lukas/Ann Morris (W&L) 8-5
2. Ellen Yeatman/Lauren Caire (W&L) def. Jennifer Kung/Linden Li (UCW) 8-4
3. Aswini Krishnan/Carmen Vaca Guzman (UCW) def. Jen Snyder/Blair Brzeski (W&L) 8-4
Chicago 9-2; National ranking #4
Washington and Lee 12-4; National ranking #6