W&L Men's Tennis Opens With a 7-0 Loss at Furman
GREENVILLE, S.C. -- The Washington and Lee men's tennis team opened its 2010 spring schedule with a 7-0 loss at Division I Furman on Friday evening.
The Generals' lone victory came at No. 2 doubles, where sophomore Jeremy Becht (Woodstock, Ga./Etowah) and first-year Hayden White (Baltimore, Md./Towson) posted an 8-7 (7-1) win over Andrei Chvetsov and Robert Bruner.
With the loss, the Generals fell to 0-1 overall, while Furman, ranked 59th in Division I, improved to 2-3 overall.
Washington and Lee returns to action on February 26 as it hosts Randolph-Macon (4:30 pm) and Virginia Wesleyan (6:30 pm).
Washington and Lee Men's Tennis
Washington and Lee vs Furman (Feb 12, 2010)
#59 Furman 7, Washington and Lee 0
Feb 12, 2010 at Greenville, S.C.
1. Andrew Mellow (FUR) def. Hayden White (W&L) 6-4, 7-5
2. Andrei Chvetsov (FUR) def. Will Hall (W&L) 6-2, 6-4
3. Tyler Droll (FUR) def. Michael Freeman (W&L) 6-0, 6-2
4. Watson George (FUR) def. Jeremy Becht (W&L) 6-1, 6-3
5. Chris Rhyne (FUR) def. Ben Fass (W&L) 6-0, 6-0
6. Robert Bruner (FUR) def. Alex Brooke (W&L) 6-3, 6-4
1. Andrew Mellow/Tyler Droll (FUR) def. Will Hall/Alex Brooke (W&L) 8-1
2. Jeremy Becht/Hayden White (W&L) def. Andrei Chvetsov/Robert Bruner (FUR) 8-7 (7-1)
3. Carl Lundberg/Watson George (FUR) def. Mac Davis/Cliff Gaddy (W&L) 8-4
Washington and Lee 0-1
Furman 2-3; National ranking #59
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,3,2,1,5,6)
-- GENERALS --