LEXINGTON, Va. -- The 23rd-ranked Washington and Lee men's tennis team dropped a 6-3 decision to 14th-ranked North Carolina Wesleyan on Wednesday afternoon at the W&L Upper Courts.
The Generals held a 2-1 lead after taking the first two doubles positions, but could manage just one win in singles. First-year Hayden White (Baltimore, Md./Towson) logged W&L's lone singles victory with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Antti Saari. He also teamed with sophomore Jeremy Becht (Woodstock, Ga./Etowah) to win at No. 2 doubles, 9-8.
The loss dropped W&L to 7-3 overall, while North Carolina Wesleyan improved to 3-0.
-- GENERALS --
#14 North Carolina Wesleyan 6, #23 Washington and Lee
Mar 17, 2010 at Lexington, Va. (W&L Upper Courts)
1. Hayden White (W&L) def. Antti Saari (NCWC); 6-4, 6-2
2. Kalle Nikunen (NCWC) def. Jeremy Becht (W&L); 6-4, 5-7, 7-6
3. Alexey Rumyantsev (NCWC) def. Will Hall (W&L); 6-2, 6-2
4. Fred Lemongo (NCWC) def. Mac Davis (W&L); 6-3, 6-1
5. Artsiom Prostak (NCWC) def. Michael Freeman (W&L); 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
6. Clayton Sonn (NCWC) def. Colin Elliott (W&L); 6-2, 6-2
1. Alex Brooke/Jonathan Gaffney (W&L) def. Antti Saari/Anton Filonov (NCWC); 9-8
2. Hayden White/Jeremy Becht (W&L) def. Artsiom Prostak/Marcelo Prata (NCWC); 9-8
3. Alexey Rumyantsev/Clayton Sonn (NCWC) def. Will Hall/Mac Davis (W&L); 8-2
Washington and Lee 7-3
North Carolina Wesleyan 4-0