W&L Men's Soccer Felled By Dickinson, 1-0, in Overtime

W&L Men's Soccer Felled By Dickinson, 1-0, in Overtime

LEXINGTON, Va. – The Washington and Lee men's soccer team dropped its first game of the season to Dickinson, 1-0, on Sunday afternoon at Watt Field.

For the second time this weekend, the Generals played into overtime after regulation ended with a 0-0 score. With a scrum of players in front of W&L's goal, DC senior midfielder Shepherd Waldenberger (Madison, Va./Madison County) used a deflected ball to net the game-winning goal at the 93:10 mark.

Dickinson remains undefeated on the season with a 4-0 record, while W&L falls to 3-1 overall.

Despite a scoreless first half, the game featured opportune moments for Dickinson to take over the game early on. In the 22nd minute, the Red Devils notched back-to-back shots as W&L sophomore goalkeeper Albert Civitarese (Bridgeville, Pa./Sewickley Academy) left the box to collect the ball. DC acted on Civitarese's absence with two wide-open shots, only to have both hit the post.

The Generals continued to fight heavy pressure from the Red Devils in the second. With just over six minutes left in regulation, sophomore forward Zach Colby (Prairie Village, Kan./Shawnee Mission East) attempted a header three yards back, but DC senior goalkeeper Cody Hickok (Redding, Conn./Joel Barlow) caught the save high in the net. With neither team being able to notch a score in 90:00, the contest moved into overtime and DC recorded the 1-0 win.

W&L was outshot by Dickinson, 15-9, and the physicality of the game seemed to overwhelm the field as the Generals tallied 14 fouls and the Red Devils were called for 13.

Civitarese spent the entire game in net for the Blue and White, registering five saves and one goal-against.

Hickok also spent all 90:00 protecting the net for DC, stopping four shots and collecting no goals-against.

The Generals return to action on Saturday, when they travel to Guilford to open their ODAC action for a 7:00 pm contest.


-- www.generalssports.com --