ï»¿ï»¿ï»¿ï»¿LEXINGTON, Va. -- Through the efforts of former Washington and Lee athletes, nearly $700,000 has been raised since February 1 to meet the "Rise to the Challenge" campaign for the final funding of the Wilson Field renovation project. The alumni Generals are fast-approaching the Challenge goal of $1.5 million.
To date $14.7 million of a total project cost of $15.5 million has been raised. Included in this total is a significant challenge gift of $1.5 million from an anonymous donor. This donor issued a challenge to former athletes to raise the final $1.5 million to complete the major renovation of W&L oldest outdoor athletic facility. Now, through the "Rise to Challenge" effort an additional $700,000 has been secured.
However, in order for us to complete the fund-raising effort and
finish the spectacular renovation, we are $800,000 from reaching
the goal of $15.5 million. Please help us meet this challenge by
making a gift today to the Wilson Field Challenge Fund.
About Wilson Field
Wilson Field has served as the home facility for the Washington and Lee football, track & field and men's lacrosse teams since the early 1900's. The facility has undergone several renovations over the years and it is now receiving a major overhaul which will be completed late this summer.
The project includes: new home stands for 3,500 spectators, visitor seating for 500 spectators, a new press box, a new scoreboard, a new turf field, lights, an expanded track, improved concessions areas, new restroom facilities, as well as spacious and attractive entryways and landscaping.
Wilson Field is named after William L. Wilson, president of the University from February 1897 until his death in 1900. Wilson, a congressman and later Postmaster General for the Grover Cleveland administration before coming to Lexington, provided the college with farsighted and diligent leadership.
Wilson Field initially consisted of the main athletic field and a small set of bleachers. The field was improved in 1923 and a 3,000-seat stadium was added in the spring and summer of 1924. W&L fans filled the new stadium for the first time on September 27, 1924 and watched the Generals defeat Roanoke College, 34-0.
-- GENERALS --