LEXINGTON, Va. -- Washington and Lee Director of Athletics Jan Hathorn has announced that a record 253 students earned Scholar-Athlete awards during the recently completed fall term.
The students are all members of W&L athletic teams and achieved a grade-point average (GPA) of at least 3.50. The prior record for scholar-athletes in the fall or winter term was 242 set last fall.
Additionally, 20 of the students honored for the fall term achieved a 4.0 grade-point average. Among those registering a perfect GPA were:
• Senior All-ODAC basketball player Emily Perszyk (Greendale, Wis. / Greendale)
• Junior cross country and track & field runner Kristi Miluski (Tall Timbers, Md. / Leonardtown)
• Senior All-America football player Max Garrett (Fairfield, Conn. / Choate Rosemary Hall)
• Senior All-ODAC golfer Hayden Combs (Kennett, Mo. / Memphis University School)
• Sophomore All-ODAC golfer Brian Peccie (Norfolk, Va. / Norfolk Academy)
• Sophomore golfer Boyd Peete (Henrico, Va. / St. Christopher's)
• Junior lacrosse player Josh Dolan (Marietta, Ga. / Westminster)
• Sophomore lacrosse player Stevan Kriss (Versailles, Ky. / Lexington Catholic)
• Sophomore lacrosse player Jack Ware (Baltimore, Md. / Towson)
• Junior rider SarahCate Harrison (Tampa, Fla. / Wharton)
• Sophomore rider Hannah Witherell (Shirley, Mass. / Francis W. Parker Charter Essential)
• Senior Academic All-America soccer player Gillen Beck (Blacksburg, Va. / Blacksburg)
• Senior All-America swimmer Tommy Thetford (Birmingham, Ala. / The Altamont)
• First-year tennis players Tye Loan (Bremerton, Wash. / Olympic)
• First-year tennis players Noah Tapp (Lexington, Ky. / Henry Clay)
• Senior tennis player Michael Lukas (Manitowoc, Wis. / University School of Milwaukee)
• Senior tennis player Emily Kochard (Charlottesville, Va. / Western Albemarle)
• Junior tennis player Mary Hampton McNeal (Beaufort, S.C. / South Carolina Connections Academy)
• First-year volleyball player Kiera Borthwick (Northville, Mich. / Northville)
• Senior All-ODAC volleyball player Katie Volk (Lancaster, Calif. / Quartz Hill)
• Sophomore wrestler Andrew Taylor (Atlanta, Ga. / Westminster)
Other notable athletes to receive Scholar-Athlete awards included 66 All-ODAC selections, eight additional All-Americans and one Scholar All-American. Other All-Americans aside from Garrett and Thetford to receive the Scholar-Athlete Award were junior field hockey and lacrosse player Haley Tucker (Manakin-Sabot, Va. / St. Catherine's School), senior golfers Luke Farley (Durham, N.C. / Trinity School) and Mary-Frances Hall (State Road, N.C. / Elkin), junior lacrosse player A.J. Witherell (Wilmington, Del. / Salesianum), junior soccer player Will Hamryka (Dawsonville, Ga. / Greater Atlanta Christian School), senior swimmer Cassidy Fuller (Moraga, Calif. / Campolindo), junior swimmer Elle Chancey (Tampa, Fla. / Berkeley Prep), sophomore swimmer Emily Hageboeck (Charleston, W. Va. / George Washington) and junior volleyball player Meg Guignon (St. Louis, Mo. / Visitation Academy)
All 24 varsity athletic programs achieved a team GPA of at least 3.000, led by the women's tennis team with a 3.743, the second-highest team GPA since tracking began in 2000. The highest men's team was the golf squad with a 3.685. No team recorded a GPA lower than 3.108.
Together, the fall sports teams combined to post a 72-29-3 (.707) overall record, claiming conference titles in men's cross country, women's cross country, field hockey and football.